There's a German proverb about fashion that I constantly refer back to. It goes something like this: A man's taste can be judged by his wallet, watch, and lighter.
Though watches and lighters are nearly obsolete these days (at least from a functional perspective), the gist of this saying will always ring true...
Imagine this scenario. You're on a date. It's going great, all signs are positive. The bill comes. You whip out your wallet and hand your credit card to the waiter.
Scenario one: You have a run of the mill wallet, she doesn't even notice it. Fine, whatever, no harm done.
Scenario two: You have a stylish wallet, a design she's never seen before. It sparks a conversation--where you found it, why you like it, etc. She's impressed, your stock skyrockets.
Lesson: The little things matter.
And one of the most important little things is your wallet.
Choosing the right wallet comes down to two things: 1) Style (obviously); and 2) Minimal (because you don't want to be like George Costanza).
Finding a balance between the two is tough; most of the slim wallets out there look like garbage. But I’m pumped to say I finally found a wallet that exceeds all my criteria: The DPTR Clamshell Wallet.
Here are the pros:
- Holds a shit ton of stuff.
- Made from thick high-grade leather.
- Unique design.
- Glides in and out of your pocket with ease.
- Barely detectable in your pocket.
Here are the cons:
- Sometimes tough to find the card you need on the spot.
- Not great if you’re a cash guy.
- At $60, it’s not cheap but it’s not outrageous either (a great wallet is an investment that will last you a lifetime).